A few weeks ago I posted that I was working on a trike. After getting past the learning cure of trying something new, this trike was a lot of fun to work on. With the added motor built into the front wheel this ride has some get up and go! I heard from the owner that its hard to keep peddling when you can use it as a scooter.
One of the cool features that comes with the motor system is the computer. This tells you how much juice the battery has, the riders speed, and the distance traveled. I’m sure it does a lot more but I didn’t take the time to figure it out. The speed of the motor is controlled by a knob which acts a lot like a barrel shifter. The gearing on the bike is 3×9. It had rim brakes on the front and disk in the rear.
I did run into problems when it came to the motor controller (shown below). When I connected all the wires the motor controller immediately began to smoke! After double and triple checking all of the wires I connected the controller again. It still started to smoke each time. I contacted the company who supplied all the parts. They were very kind and asked me to mail the old controller to them and they quickly sent me another motor controller. Thankfully they tested the one I originally had and said it was defective before I got it (I was worried it was my fault).
I installed the new motor controller and everything worked perfectly!